Everywhere I go and everything I read -
the buzz word is "COLD".
The winter seems to be extra cold this year !
Time to make a big pot of Chili...
and who can resist 'warm from the oven' cornbread ?
(The best part ?? You will NEVER know it doesn't have any meat in it !)
Hearty Vegetarian Chili
1 medium to large green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
Approximately 8-10 mushrooms, chopped coarse
2-3 cups corn
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2-3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 1/4 tsp. sea salt
Few shakes of hot sauce
2 cans 15oz. each of diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cans 15.5oz. each of beans, drained and rinsed. (I used Cannellini beans, Light Red Kidney beans and Black beans)
1 cup water
1 vegetable bouillon cube
Approximately 20 oz. of tomato sauce
1/2 cup refried beans, (homemade - recipe follows)
Optional condiments: sour cream, shredded cheddar, onions, avocado, rice, etc.
- In large pot add olive oil, peppers, onions, mushrooms, corn and zucchini. Cook until soft and slightly turning brown on edges.
- Add seasonings - garlic, chili powder, cumin and salt. Stir together with vegetables.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, water, bouillon cube, refried beans and hot sauce. Simmer for at least 20 minutes or more to meld flavors.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and shredded sharp cheddar, as pictured or condiments of your choice.
Fast and easy ! I try to always have these in the freezer.
1 - 16oz. can beans, drained and rinsed. (I use whatever beans I have on hand)
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic powder, or one clove, minced
- Combine oil, onions and garlic in bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Mash beans with a fork and stir into onion mixture.
- Dish out what you need and freeze the remainder.
Amazingly delicious and so easy to make.
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
Optional: can also add 1+ cup of kernel corn