A Mattress Ticking Finish...

Finishing a Punch Needle project with Mattress Ticking - Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com
Vintage Mattress Ticking

We have been having a string of
wet, drippy, cold days...
perfect for staying inside and sewing.




Old Kenmore sewing machine

I am, by nature, a hand sewer.
I love the repetition of pulling needle and thread
through cloth.  It is soothing and calming and 
maybe even makes one feel dignified ;)
like being connected to the past, when most
women spent a considerable amount
of time each week, darning, mending
and creating.

But, every once in a blue moon,
I will pull out my very old, faithful Kenmore 
(over 40 years old).  When I have it out,
I gather everything I can think of, that needs 
a sewing machine for finishing or mending.
The machine is very heavy and I move it
around as little as possible.




Finishing a Punch Needle project with Mattress Ticking - Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

I have been going through my limited
collection of Vintage Mattress Ticking.




Finishing a Punch Needle project with Mattress Ticking - Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com
Design punched using Valdani Perle Cotton

A few months past, I punched a piece called
"Tending Her Garden" and really wanted to 
"finish" it using some old Mattress Ticking.




Finishing a Punch Needle project with Mattress Ticking - Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

I placed the punch needle piece on a cut of
hand dyed wool fabric to bring out the blues in her skirt.
Then centered the piece onto a cut of 
the Mattress Ticking and blanket stitched in place.




Finishing a Punch Needle project with Mattress Ticking - Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

This is the back of the pillow...
I added a wool heart with my initials.
I just love when you can turn a project over 
and have a little surprise stitching on the back.




Finishing a Punch Needle project with Mattress Ticking - Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

The Mattress Ticking has some scuffs and scrapes
from years gone by...it just makes it softer 
and more cozy, perfect for a pillow.
I placed a few random X's over the holes,
just to keep the 'stuffing' inside.




Finishing a Punch Needle project with Mattress Ticking - Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

"Tending Her Garden" punch needle pillow,
stuffed firmly and the mattress ticking 
makes it extra soft !

One project down,
a few more to go, while the machine is out.


~  ~  ~  ~

Hope after a storm.

A couple evenings past,
we had a wild storm pass through.
The storm only lasted about 20 minutes.

My daughter and son in law
captured this unbelievable rainbow
as they were on the road heading home.
So perfect, it gives me shivers !

~  ~  ~  ~
Why did she make things ?
well, she enjoyed it, of course;
but it also somehow helped her remember
who she was and where she came from.
~ found on Pinterest

~  ~  ~  ~
Have a Blessed day Friends...
Rose

8 comments:

  1. Oh Rose that is beautiful. My favorite thing is those Xs. I like to do something fun on the backs of my quilts. You are the first one who has shared the same quirkiness. So glad to be in such fabulous company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy would Polly Minick love to own that ticking. It is soft, beautiful and with the age has many a story of life lived back then to tell I'm sure. Beautiful rainbow picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a incredible couple of rainbows. I don't think i have ever seen any like that before. I love ticking!! Every single time I go looking for yardage, I always come home with ticking. I think I hoard mine too. I like your pillow. It is lovely and I bet so soft to the touch. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your pillow, the ticking was a perfect choice.

    Great photo of the double rainbow. Reminds me of one I saw after a sudden heavy rainfall also.

    Thanks for sharing these photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for the ticking. I just finished a punch needle and was wondering what to do with it. Love the x's on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finishing skills never cease to amaze me. Another perfect finish!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful little pillow - I love how you added your own personal touch to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful finish. The ticking is just perfect.
    What an amazing rainbow.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete