For Such A Time As This...

Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio

I have begun stitching the small squares
for the Quaker Ball.  I'm using a dark cinnamon
floss.  12 different designs...




Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio

I purchased a piece of hand dyed 28 count linen.
24in. x 30in.
I needed to make sure I could fit all 26 pieces of 
the Quaker Ball onto the cut of linen.
It worked, with a tiny bit to spare.
I'll save any leftover for another project.




Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio

Now for the hard part...
A cut of hand dyed linen, this size, is expensive.
But, I had to trace the different sized squares onto 
the linen.  It just didn't feel right to do this, but
the drawn lines will be used for cutting.




Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio





Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio




Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio

All of the small blocks will be in this dark cinnamon.
I've never made this sort of project before,
but I am thinking - if the small blocks are all the same,
it will unify the project...we will see.




Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio

These designs are quick and enjoyable 
to stitch up, in the evening with a cup of tea.




Quaker Ball by Rose Clay at Three Sheep Studio

I am still sorting through colors...
I am thinking these values will work...
not sure until I see it start to come together.


~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

For such a time as this...



Learning The Fine Art Of Hand Sewing.
My Granddaughter and I

I positively have been waiting my whole life 
for this very moment !



Learning The Fine Art Of Hand Sewing

My Granddaughter just turned 5 years old.
Time to pass on the fine art of hand sewing...
(this will be a work in progress)



Learning The Fine Art Of Hand Sewing

~~ Be still, my heart. ~~
I've gathered floss, just for her.
She could hardly wait...



Learning The Fine Art Of Hand Sewing

Proud little girl,
even prouder Grammy !

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~

Be still enough to see something beautiful
in each day.
Rose


8 comments:

  1. That is so awesome!! I love that you are showing your grand daughter how to stitch. Its the passing on of the flame. My grand daughter knit. They haven't been that interested in sewing yet. My grandsons did mention that. You know I guess I don't really know what it is that you are making. I thought I did, but I don't. I love the little individual stitches you are doing though.
    Lovely pictures Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you tease! What is it you are making?
    So nice to put a face to such a familiar name and what a sweet granddaughter. I'm sure you will be an excellent teacher and role model.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasured moment!!! I know it will always hold a special place in your heart. I was helping my sister clean out the last of Mom's things & I found stitching she had saved from when my girls were little like your granddaughter. They were treasures to her & treasured memories for my girls. Thanks sooooo much for sharing this special experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh , so sweet ! I have 2 little grand daughters , they are only 2 , my dream is to teach them to stitch . So special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, What a lot of work for the Quaker ball, I never made one before but I sure it will be beautiful. And your grand daughter is so sweet stitching and so happy with her work, So sweet..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that your grand daughter is interested in stitching too! My five year old grand son picked up my hook yesterday - I'll have to see if he wants to learn a bit more!!! Beautiful project you're working one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those photos of you and your grand daughter. She is so proud of her work! The photos and what you wrote brought tears to my eyes because I understand the connection. My grand daughter is 11 and I get to see her only twice a year. I have helped her with some sewing and it was such a special (but very short) time together. My grand daughter will have those special memories of learning from her grandmother and the same will be the case for me too. Time spent with family is so important. I love how her legs are so short the feet just hang over the edge of the couch, and that precious smile with those little teeth! You are a blessed grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh... that lovely smile on her face when she is showing her effort... its priceless... you are a blessed grandma!....<3...

    ReplyDelete