Philphlot Fraktur - Wool Applique...

'Tulip and Philphlot' Wool Applique design by Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

As the evenings get cooler,
I'm drawn to woolens...




'Tulip and Philphlot' Wool Applique design by Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

Working on Wool Applique.
Soft and easy...perfect to 
'while away' the afternoon.




Scalloped Blanket stitch on wool fabric by Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com - go to Blog to learn how

This Wool Applique pillow will go to the Porchwalk.
Finished in a (Scalloped Blanket stitch),
using Valdani variegated Perle Cotton thread.
It is an unassuming edge,
that adds just a hint of interest,
but doesn't demand lots of attention.




'Tulip and Philphlot' Wool Applique design by Rose Clay at ThreeSheepStudio.com

'Tulip and Philphlot' is an adaptation 
of a Fraktur design on a Pennsylvania 
painted dower chest, dated 1781.

So what is a Philphlot (fil-flot), anyway ???
A Philphlot is a swirled design that can
be carved in wood, punched in tin,
painted onto a surface or, 
as shown - pieced together in 
wool applique.

The 'Tulip and Philphlot' pattern 
is in the Studio, in both 


~  ~  ~  ~


Spiderweb in Harry Lauders Walking Stick

Before the rains arrived,
I caught this GORGEOUS, 
huge spiderweb in our 
Harry Lauders Walking Stick.
(I love spiders, so this was a lovely find !)

Enjoy this September day, my Friends...
Rose

6 comments:

  1. Just lovely I too love woolens this time of year. Not so much spiders
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors and the history Rose! Thanks for sharing with us. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can send you lots of spiders. The closer to the lake, the bigger the spider, me thinks.
    Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE adapting antique hooked rugs and frakturs into current wool applique. Beautiful stitching and choice of fabric/threads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for making a Happy start to my day.
    Just beautiful.
    I've watched a garden spider build her web..just an amazing work of nature.
    Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose, your pillow is lovely!
    Thank you for the info. about the Philphlot... I thought perhaps it was a type of under-achiever paisley or something. :-) I love that after 62 years I still learn so many new things!
    Enjoy the cooler days; we've cooled down quite a bit here in Oregon also.
    Another summer bites the dust!
    Warm regards, Lisa

    ReplyDelete